Ewa Agoyin really deserves the hype that it receives. Popularly sold by hawkers in Nigeria in black pots carried on their heads. They serve the beans in aluminium bowls; press the middle of the beans so that they can put the agoyin stew in the middle.
We managed to take pictures before this food went down in DVeesville, quite a feat if we are honest…. we really love food; like that wasn’t obvious already, however this means that most times we are more interested in cooking, plating and eating. Pictures??
But it is a new year… so here is to more food pictures and more posting. Thank you for reading our blog. We love and appreciate you all. Happy New Year.Xx
- 4 cups of honey brown beans
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp of salt
Agonyin stew ingredients
- 15 Red Whole chilli
- 3 red mini sweet Pepper (can substitute with 1 red bell pepper)
- 4 white medium onions (roughly chopped)
- 2 white medium onions (sliced)
- 1 cup of Palm oil
- 1 Tsp of crayfish
- 4 seasoning cubes
- salt to taste
Method – Beans
- Put beans and water in a saucepan and cook on medium heat for about 3 hours; add water intermittently so it doesn’t dry out
- You want to cook the beans until very soft
- Use a potato masher to mash the beans to make it smoother.
- Set beans aside.
Method – Agonyin Stew
- Blend the red chilies, sweet peppers and roughly chopped onions with a cup of water
- Heat the palm oil in a saucepan, add sliced onions and fry until almost burnt, do not burn.
- Add blended peppers and fry for 1 hour; stirring with a wooden spoon frequently. (if you go and watch ‘Game of Thrones’ while cooking, your stew will burn).
- Season with blended crayfish and seasoning cubes
- Continue to cook and stir for 15 minutes extra. (Colour of stew should have turned deep dark red)
- Taste for seasoning; add salt to taste
- Serve with on beans
- You may need to add more palm oil (circa 2 tablespoons) when frying the stew (this is one oil laden pepper sauce but it is worth it, you can add rapeseed oil like I did instead, I told myself it was healthier plus I had run out of palm oil).
- You can cook beans in a slower cooker overnight or better still use a pressure cooker if you have one (saves time)