So I had a weird craving for 805’s Monika fish – I say weird because I have actually never had it. All I’ve heard is that it’s really nice and very spicy. Later on, I remembered this really nice sea bass meal I had in a pub while on a project in Gloucester and then all I could think about was fish! I met up with V2 and we end up in front of the fresh fish counter in Waitrose. The sea bass was beautiful, fresh and looked very clean but it was £5 for 1. If you are being economical, look away. However, I couldn’t resist the fish and I left the counter with 2 – so did V2. I bought a few other things and left the shop elated. I was finally going to make my own Monika, though I had nothing to compare it to. Lol
Roasted Sea bass
- 2 Sea bass, gutted, scaled and cleaned
- 3 Bell peppers
- Sliced Onions
- Chopped scotch bonnet peppers
- Seasoning (Fish Spice, Thyme, Basil, Maggi – I prefer Knorr but I only had Maggi)
- Hot chilli pepper powder
- Sunflower Oil
- 2 Plantains
- Seasoning (Salt, Pepper, smoked paprika)
- Chop your mixed bell peppers, scotch bonnet pepper and onions into a clean bowl
- Descale, gut and clean the fish if fish has not been cleaned and gutted.
- Make 2 – 3 diagonal slices on each side of the fish
- Season the fish (inside and outside) generously using fish spice, thyme, basil, Maggi and chilli powder. Use chilli powder according to heat tolerance.
- Place oil in a small bowl and season with Maggi, fish spice and chilli. Take a small portion of the chopped mixed pepper, dip in the seasoned oil and place inside the fish and in the slits on the side of the fish.
- Place the fish in a roasting oven dish, pour in the rest of the chopped bell peppers, scotch bonnet pepper and onions.
- Pour the rest of the seasoned oil all over the fish and mixed peppers.
- Sprinkle paprika, parsley and chilli powder on the top
- Place in the oven and grill for 50 – 55 mins
- Check regularly, flip the fish to ensure both sides are evenly roasted
The mixed peppers in the roasting dish can serve as a pepper sauce once ready.
- Peel the plantains
- Make 2-3 diagonal slices on the side of each plantain
- Season lightly with salt, chilli powder and smoked paprika
- Place in the oven and grill for 45 – 50 mins
- Check regularly to see that it is roasted to desired level
Once ready, serve
H3 loved it and we were completely knocked out after eating. It definitely solved my craving as it had the right amount of pepper to seasoning ratio. Later on, we were talking about the price of products in Waitrose and remembered the “6 for £1, £1 fish guy” lol. I must say, that really put the Waitrose price into perspective.